Friday, March 11, 2011

Hey it's Lent


So Ash Wednesday has passed and it's the first friday of Lent! Pasta Fridays and Fish Frys here I come. Actually I never go to those things. I've always wondered why we don't eat meat on Lent Fridays and why fish is ok. But then I came across this website that answers all those questions about the Catholic faith. It's called Why Catholics Do That.
Why fish is ok?
http://whycatholicsdothat.com/why-is-fish-not-considered-meat/
But they didn't have the answer to why we fast from meat on Fridays so I researched it. The rich back then celebrated with meat. Remember that son who spent all his money and went home to become a servant to his dad? And how his father was so happy he slaughtered the calf to celebrate? To not have meat is a form of penance and spiritual discipline even if we don't celebrate with meat anymore. Also surprise! You have to do penance on every Friday even if it's not a Lent Friday. Yeah I just found it out when I researched the meat question.
Just a couple things to do during Lent especially on Friday:
Fulfill our duties more faithfully- be a good, compassionate Catholic and see Jesus in every human being
Devote ourselves to prayer-"pray short ones full of love....if we want to be able to love, we must be able to pray" -from Mother Teresa: No Greater Love, page 4

<3 Sarah

P.S. those Pond's Cleasing Wipes with Vitamin C are not good for taking off eye makeup! I use a washcloth soaked with water and gently press on my eyes a few times; it takes it all off.

No comments:

Post a Comment